OT: "Ai kama zimba zimba zayo"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 10 02:46:29 UTC 2009

Thanks, Mark, I read somewhere or other that Wimoweh was a corruption,
mishearing, whatever, of Mbube. Hard to feature that, but you never
know. However "uyimbube" takes the question to the HNL. "(A-)Wimoweh"
< "uyimbube" is a derivation that I can take at face value.

-Wilson

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Mark Mandel<thnidu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: OT: "Ai kama zimba zimba zayo"
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:43 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Seeger wrote English lyrics for several South
>> African songs, but I think now I have conflated
>> "The Zulu Warrior" of Marais and Miranda with
>> "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (aka "Wimoweh"), also
>> about a Zulu warrior/chief. Â Too late at night
>> for me to start searching my LPs.
>>
>> Mark?
>
> You may have done so. But Wimoweh, né Mbabe or something similar IIRC,
> --- well, I should qualify this. *I believe that I have read* that it
> was written by a black / "Native" man in S.A. and recorded, and he
> never got anything from it. But that should be treated as qualified,
> and I'm too tired to check now.
>
> Oh, hell, couldn't resist, and it was pretty damn quick. Here it is
> from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Sleeps_Tonight. An ugly
> story. (And it was indeed The Weavers that I learned it from.)
>
> --------------------
>
> History
>
> "Mbube" (Zulu for "lion") was first recorded by its writer, Solomon
> Linda, and his group, The Evening Birds, in 1939. Gallo Record Company
> paid Linda a single fee for the recording and no royalties. "Mbube"
> became a hit throughout South Africa and sold about 100,000 copies
> during the 1940s. The song became so popular that Mbube lent its name
> to a style of African a cappella music, though the style has since
> been mostly replaced by isicathamiya (a softer version).
>
> Alan Lomax brought the song to the attention of Pete Seeger of the
> folk group The Weavers. It was on one of several records Lomax lent to
> Seeger.[1] After having performed the song for at least a year in
> their concerts, in November, 1951, the Weavers recorded their version
> entitled "Wimoweh", a mishearing of the original song's chorus of
> 'uyimbube' (meaning "you're a lion"). Pete Seeger had made some of his
> own additions to the melody. The song was credited exclusively to Paul
> Campbell, a fictitious entity used by Harry Richmond to copyright
> material in the public domain.
>
> Pete Seeger explains in one recording, "it refers to an old legend
> down there, [about] their last king [of the Zulus], who was known as
> Shaka The Lion. Legend says, Shaka The Lion didn't die when Europeans
> took over our country; he simply went to sleep, and he'll wake up some
> day." (See "Senzenina / Wimoweh" on Seeger's With Voices Together We
> Sing (Live).) cf. sleeping hero
>
> It was published by Folkways, a subsidiary of Richmond/TRO. Their 1952
> version, arranged by Gordon Jenkins, became a top-twenty hit in the
> U.S., and their live 1957 recording turned it into a folk music
> staple. This version was covered in 1959 by The Kingston Trio.
>
> New lyrics to the song were written by George David Weiss, Luigi
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain