Political language

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 10 14:41:36 UTC 2009

Re: Gov. Palin's resignation statement.

Quitting. That's bad.

"Pass[ing] the ball so the team can win."
That's good.

"Pass[ing] the ball--for victory."
GOOOOOOOOOOAALLL!

(While "passing the torch" might seem "good" to the naive, it carries
negative suggestions of retiring from the public eye.)

JL