Fwd: sound/meaning interaction in English words

Fri Jul 10 14:44:19 UTC 2009

I'm forwarding a message from a member of the public who has what I
believe to be an interesting question.

In restating it in a follow-up message, he put it this way: "What I'm
interested in is nontechnical information analyzing confusion and
meaning transfer between words with similarities in both pronunciation
and meaning -- or a referral to an expert whom I might coax into
helping me. And I understand that synonymous paronyms are at least a
subset of these words."

His full query is below.

Grant Barrett