perfect synonyms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 10 15:47:24 UTC 2009

Sounds like "gorse" and "furze" are still the winners.

I might add that "gorse" and "furze" also are synonymous in all contexts and
at all levels of discourse.  A classmate of mine once insisted that "speed"
and "velocity" were just as synonymous.  I tried to disabuse him by pointing
out that "velocity" was far more prevalent in more technical contexts; in
addition, I believe it has certain technical connotations and nuances that
"speed" does not.  Naturally, he shrugged off my objections.

A pair like "aardvark" and "earth-pig" might work, but "earth-pig" is rather
factitious (besides being open to the charge of binomialism or compounding,
unlike "aardvark," at lest in English). Neither "gorse" nor "furze" is
factitious.

JL