more black talk. 1826; with some white talk

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 11 05:20:49 UTC 2009

Reminds me of a more-recent phenomenon that I've noticed.
Country-blues singers still sound pretty much as they always have,
except that Texans have stopped using "gwine." (I was really surprised
to find out that "gwine" was once quite common in Texas BE, at least
among the blues-singing classes.) OTOH, Northern-black singers from
back in the day used pronunciations and enunciations that were closer
to standard speech than more-recent city-blues, rhythm-&-blues,
doowop, and hiphop singers do.

-Wilson

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: more black talk. 1826; with some white talk
>
> At 7/9/2009 11:11 PM, George Thompson wrote:
>>I am likely not to find any more such stuff from this source. Â One
>>partner in the American bought out the other, in the summer of 1826,
>>and I fear that it was the departing partner who thought that
>>detailed accounts of transactions in police court was news that was
>>fit to print.
>
> A pity -- the remaining partner missed out on the peak of the penny press.
>
> Joel

-Wilson
–––
-----