"in phonetics"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 11 23:44:56 UTC 2009

Thanks, Bill!

In the old Army Security Agency, it was considered gauche to use the
official "phonetics" for ID purposes, when signing of at the end of a
shift. E.g. John Kershaw always signed off by saying, "This is
operator _Jackie Kennedy_." Since the Agency had its own chain of
command, separate from that of the rest of the military, it was
possible to get away with this kind of "grab-ass(ing)," jokingly given
the pswaydo-Continental pronunciation, [gra 'bas(IN)], instead of the
ordinary ['gr&b ,&s(IN)], as a sign of Agency pswaydo-sophistication
WRT to the hoi polloi of the military.

Someone on the ANS listserv, in a demonstration of overcorrect
pswaydo-learnedness, once made reference to "the polloi."

-Wilson

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Bill Palmer<w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "in phonetics"
>
> Wilson,
>
> To the best of my knowledge "Alfa" still represents A in military
> "phonetics". Â Has remained the same since 1956, when it changed, supposedly
> to facilitate pronunciation by members of various NATO countries' armed
> forces. Â In the changeover from the old "Abel, Baker, Charlie..." form,
> three survived: Â Charlie, Mike, & Victor
>
> Bill Palmer

-Wilson
–––
-----