frienemies

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Mon Jul 13 12:42:55 UTC 2009

On NPR this morning there was a report on the Tour de France bicycle race, in which the correspondent was reporting on the relationship between Lance Armstrong and one of his team-mates, whose name I did not catch.  The correspondent said that the two were "frienemies", meaning something to the effect that they were both friends and enemies, with the prediction that as the race went on they would become less friends and more enemies.

Nonce usage?  Or well-established?  Or what?

OT:  the sometimes-inscrutable Wilson Gray wrote:

> Though I post questions in English, I throw in words and phrases from
> the local minority language, instead of using French, Spanish, or
> whatever, so as not to appear to be bogarting them by using English
> and to show them that I'm down with their attempt to keep their
> government from wiping out their language in the name of "national
> unity."

Pardon my ignorance (the only Bogart movie I've ever seen is "Casablanca"), but "bogarting"?

     James A. Landau
     Test Engineer
     Northrop-Grumman Information Technology
     8025 Black Horse Pike, Suite 300