'Jazz" discussed in baseball research group -- supposed musical antedatings in Newspaper Archives (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 14 01:31:02 UTC 2009

At 9:57 AM -0500 7/13/09, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:

>>  Thirdly, the Salt Lake Daily Tribune  (Utah) is said to contain SALT
>>  JAZZ for February 22, 1881, supposedly in the (somewhat jumbled)
>>  context:
>>                   Ail of SUbic SALT JAZZ cmf j. Walker Brothers. [sic]
>>  When I pull up the relevant page, it seems to be various ads, with
>print so
>>  tiny as to be illegible.  On the right are some adds with larger
>print. =
>>  I see Walker Brothers there, and unless the accompanying few words in
>>  tiny print contain mention of jazz, this term is not present there.
>In
>>  any case, what in the world would SALT JAZZ be?
>
>The last 3 words at the bottom of col 8 are "Salt Lake City".  Searching
>for "Jazz" on that page shows that the OCR has misread this phrase as
>"Salt Jazz".  "Subic" is really "stables", and "Walker Brothers" appears
>as the first words on top of the next column.

So not an antedate of, and motivation for, the Utah Jazz (who moved
to Salt Lake City from N'Awlins, not to be confused with N'Archive)
after all...

LH