Supporters of official English in the United States can learn from Slovakia

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 14 15:38:43 UTC 2009

Wilson,

I asked that very question in SF in 1987 (there was a joint plenary
session of the MLA and LSA, which at the time were meeting the same
days). Hiakawa was supposed to be there, but he was not doing well, so
a colleague came. I explained that I was aware that my English was not
the same as my students' English, so what English would official. His
reply? "Well, English English!" I decided I did not need to follow
that up!

Barbara

Barbara Need
Chicago