secesh (1862); nickel [coin] (1863); Knight of the Golden Circle (1863); black-snake [Republican] (1863)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 16 01:38:06 UTC 2009

A year earlier:

1861  Sgt. Francis A. Donaldson in J. Gregory Acken, ed. _Inside the Army of
the Potomac_ (Mechanicsville, Pa.: Stackpole, 1998) 20: The bite of the bold
Virginia Secesh mosquito is as unlike the gentle puncture of the educated
abolition mosquito of the Quaker City as is the kick of a mule to a gentle
tap from the paw of a kitten....My head looks like a big plum pudding

JL