ick [Was: to bogart]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 16 01:52:28 UTC 2009

Didn't Captain Midnight or some other radio-&-funnybook hero of my
youth have a comic-relief sidekick named "Icky"? Was it the guy who
wore the ice-hockey uniform and who has since been revived and
horribly changed by one of the current comic-book biggies, a la
Plastic Man, Captain America & Bucky, Prince Nemo the Submariner
(whose seems to be known as the "Sub Marie ner," these days), The
Flash, Green Lantern, Norge, The Human Torch & Toro, the Green (om
mane padme hum) Lama, etc., etc.?

-Wilson

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: ick [Was: to bogart]
>
> At 7/14/2009 04:25 PM, Alison Murie wrote:
>>On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>
>>>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>-----------------------
>>>Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>>Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>>>Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: to bogart
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>I just noticed this while deleting old mail. Â "ick" up should be
>>>"pick" up.
>>>
>>>Eggcorn? Â Freudian-like slip?
>>>
>>>Joel
>>~~~~~~~~
>>Oh, heck! Here I thought it was a clever nonce word.
>>AM
>
> Not nonce -- as a noun, dates from 1947 as "2. Something sticky,
> congealed, or disgusting." Â Although not in the OED as a verb ...
>
> The Freudian part of this is that in my youth I dated a girl whose
> initials were I.C.K. Â Her nickname, of course, was "Icky".
>
> Joel

-Wilson
–––
-----