Researchers find swearing has health (and productivity) benefits

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Jul 16 05:16:58 UTC 2009

Dennis, I tried to post the following to The Web of Language, but got
back "No message found for the response".
Joel
-----
Title:  Swearing also has productivity benefits

Earlier, from 2007: swearing is also good for the office.  I don't
have a record of where the following comes from, but the journal and
article are identified.

"A new study coming out of the University of East Anglia's Norwich
Business School reports that,  while swearing may cost you the game,
on the plus side it does build  team spirit.  Their research further
suggests that turning the air  blue on a regular basis may actually
be good for business.

"... Now two business scholars, Yehuda Baruch and Stuart Jenkins,
report in a recent issue  of the Leadership and Organization
Development Journal (vol. 28  [2007], pp. 492-507), that regular
swearing at work creates a sense  of community and reinforces social
relationships. . . ."

This too is from the (formerly repressed?) Brits.  How close is Keele
University to East Anglia's Norwich Business School?  (Not much --
Keele is between Birmingham and Manchester; Norwich is near the east
coast, about 150 miles distant as the curses fly through the blue skies.)
-----