non-chuck (1972), nunchuck (1974)

Thu Jul 16 18:50:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Victor<aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible that "Search this book" actually gave you a different volume?

Anything is possible with serialized publications on Google Books --
at least until they get rid of snippet view.

> However, I will stick to my law enforcement suggestion. If someone can
> beat me to the Lexis search on nunchaku, I am sure that references will
> pop up earlier than 1969, at least, in California. I'll try to get to a
> Lexis account next week.

I did a Lexis search when I was pinpointing the 1972 "non-chuck"
example (the NJ case had been mentioned in an issue of _Black Belt_),
and I didn't see anything for "nunchaku" before the early '70s in
federal and state cases or law reviews. California state code doesn't

--Ben Zimmer