Assertion: Earliest "ice-tea" is 1842

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 16 20:02:18 UTC 2009

There seems to be a remarkable similarity between the 1842 and 1852
texts--in fact, close enough to pass for plagiarism today. Of course, it
is also possible that both are just paraphrasing the same text.

I was initially apprehensive about both of these, as there seems to be
no clear history for iced tea in Russian cookbooks. However, the 1857
citations from Saturday Evening Post clinch the deal for me, as they
clearly identify the brewing method which, in fact, is remarkably
similar to common Russian way of drinking tea--steeping loose-leaf tea
to very strong, dark amber color, then diluting it with hot water. It
usually retains the strong, bitter quality and is flavored with
substantial amount of sugar and either lemon or milk. All of this
resembles the SEP description very closely. It would be quite
interesting to find if the two SEP pieces contributed to the almost
immediate popularity of iced tea in the South.

    VS-)