"bone marror"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 19 04:28:06 UTC 2009

Could well be. I tend to avoid contact with the natives, having had
the misfortune to have come here in 1972. I'm familiar only with
artifical dialects such as my own and those of Emerson College grads,
like Jay Leno, who read the news. Though there were locals who were
colleagues at Have-id, since they didn't drive any more than New
Yorkers do, I can't recall that I was ever involved in a discussion of
Storrow Drive. FWIW, I say {staro], but I make no attempt to speak
like a local, except jokingly, such as pronouncing "yours" as [ya:z],
when talking to other non-locals, who seem, from my perspective, to
outnumber the real Bostonians, in any case.

E.g., my friend who uses "tonic" for soda / pop / soda pop / soda
water, etc., is from Haverhill [hEIvr at l] and not from the city.

-Wilson

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: "bone marror"
>
> At 7/18/2009 06:31 AM, Damien Hall wrote:
>>I'm especially sure of
>>this for proper names, like Storrow, which I can't imagine pronouncing
>>[stOr@] in 'citation form'.
>
> But in Boston isn't it stOr@ Drive?
>
> Joel

-Wilson