"It's _away_ better than fast food! It's Wendy's!" [NT}

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 27 06:49:23 UTC 2009

A specific example that complicates things even more:
“We’re still _a ways away_ from our goal of providing equal educational
opportunity both academically and athletically,” said Bayh.
http://talkradionews.com/2009/06/new-title-ix-legislation-requires-schools-to-make-student-athlete-data-public/

Not "way". Not "away". Not "ways"--but "a ways". (Could, of course, just
be the editor's parsing and it's really just "aways".) "A ways away" is
just ironic (for this thread)!

VS-)