I'd've

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 31 07:47:28 UTC 2009

I can't recall seeing "I'd've" ever written.  It certainly is spoken.  As John Wayne said: "If I'd've (pronounced like Ida) known I'd win and Oscar wearing and eyepatch, I'd've worn one a long time ago."

Pronunciation spelling?

see truespel.com

> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 00:46:30 -0400
> From: nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
> Subject: Re: I'd've
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Neal Whitman
> Subject: Re: I'd've
>
> I remember my Latin II class in high school, when I went up to the board to
> do the future passive conjugation of a verb. I translated "factum erit" as
> "it'll've been done." One of my classmates complained that "it'll've" wasn't
> legit, but my teacher quite sensibly told him it was perfectly fine.
>
> Neal Whitman
> Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net
> Blog: http://literalminded.wordpress.com

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_photos_072009&cat=sports