The current obsession with "Gone Missing"

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sun Jun 7 10:45:09 UTC 2009

'to go missing' is very British English...are the reports from Reuters?

Lynne

--On Saturday, June 6, 2009 23:34 -0400 Jocelyn Limpert
<jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Whence came the obsession with "Gone Missing"?
>
> The jet from Rio to Paris didn't disappear or vanish or drop out of the
> sky --
> according to first reports, it had "gone missing."
>
> Is this new, or did I just not notice it for the past 50-60 years?
>
> Children go missing, fugitives go missing, everything goes missing....

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Arts B357
University of Sussex