The current obsession with "Gone Missing"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 7 15:12:49 UTC 2009

I can't say when I first heard/read "gone missing."  For some reason I
associate it with missing ships during WWII.

Sounds fine to me.  If it really is running riot in the media (maybe so,
maybe not), I suspect one reason may be that it's shorter than "reported
missing."  It also avoids the passive voice, one of the top taboos of
second-rate writers.  Finally, it sounds (at least to me) a little spooky:
it seems to emphasize (maybe through greater concision and the suggestion of
motion) that the thing/person really, really should be there. But isn't.

JL