The current obsession with "Gone Missing"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 7 21:07:00 UTC 2009

Robert Hartwell Fiske <Vocabula at aol.com> wrote: "It appeals to people who
apparently cannot bother with expressing themselves carefully or clearly."

The phrase also appeals to me, and I'm not one of those people.

I think its merrymaking in the media is due largely to the factors
I've indicated; these may be subsumed under the command: "Be bright,
stylish, catchy!"  another slogan by which the Devil drives his minions.

In light of that imperative, look at RHF's second ex.:

"In heavily Democratic Fulton County, in downtown Atlanta, 67 memory cards
from the voting machines went missing, delaying certification of the
results there."

RHF advises to "use misplace," but RHF will never be paid a king's ransom
for delivering news on TV.  The point is, when news breaks, nobody on TV
knows if the cards were "misplaced," "stolen," or "something far more
sinister."  When it is later determined that someone had
innocently misplaced them in a bottom drawer, for example, it's still
important to use "gone missing" to suggest to those who haven't been
following the story that they'd better listen up: it could be mysterious and
exciting!

If that can be true of memory cards, how much more true of an asteroid!  Did
pointy-headed astronomers with thick glasses lose track of it?  If so, what
a joke on them!  Or was the occurrence supernatural or something far more
sinister? If so, you'd better listen up! Because tThe answer may surprise
you!

I can only speak for myself, but when *I* use "gone missing," it means
precisely what I want it to mean, no more - and certainly no less.

JL