~Yeshuewu

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 8 23:49:55 UTC 2009

Tom,

The problem lies with your lack of familiarity with articulatory
phonetics, the workings of the vocal tract, and the relevant
terminology.  The "k-trill" is in fact uvular, not velar, and in
languages that use this sound, like French, it is represented in IPA
notation with a lower case Greek chi.  The uvular trill has the uvula
vibrating against the back of the tongue.  /k/ is produced by a
closure of a higher part of the back of the tongue against the soft
palate, the velum, which lies between the hard palate and the uvula.
Where /k/ is articulated it is impossible to produce a trill.  Trills,
by the way, are not produced by "flipping the tongue upward to the top
gums."  They result from the Bernoulli Effect.  As air passes between
the flexible tip of the tongue and the rigid alveolar ridge (top
gums), the tongue tip vibrates.  The same thing happens between the
uvula and the back of the tongue, at the glottis when the vocal folds
vibrate producing voicing, and even at the lips when producing a
raspberry.  There is not, in fact, a "Spanish r," but rather two
distinct sounds, a tap and a trill.  Spanish orthography represents
this contrast with a single <r> and a double <rr> respectively.

There is a body of vocabulary and of knowledge for talking about the
sounds of language that you have steadfastly resisted learning.

Herb