hillbillies -- (information from Jack Morgan's article)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Jun 10 21:26:58 UTC 2009

Sure, here's the last paragraph of Jack Morgan's article:

'Adamson points out that the early Protestant Irish settlers in the Appalachian mountains had a stock of folk songs harkening back to the victory of William of Orange (popularly known as "King Billy") over the Catholic forces of James II at the Boyne River in 1690-the central event in "Orange" Protestant Irish lore.  These settlers had emigrated in considerable numbers to the American south Atlantic colonies from the mid-1600's well into the 18th century.  Due to their preoccupation with their hero "King Billy," Adamson notes, "they became known as 'Billy-boys of the hill country,' or 'hillbillies.'"  Many of them, of course, eventually migrated into the Ozark plateau.'

------Gerald Cohen

Message to American Dialect Society from Jonathan Lighter, Wed 6/10/2009 8:38 AM:

Thanks, Jerry, but I don't seem to have that volume and can't find the
article on the Web.

Could you summarize for us?

JL