"Big Apple" revisited: Alain Locke's supposed 1919 Harlem/big apple quote -- Reply from Hugh Rawson

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jun 11 17:50:47 UTC 2009

 The search for the elusive source of Alain Locke¹s ³c. 1919 quote² ("Harlem
is the precious fruit of the Garden of Eden, the big apple") leads to three
books of quotations, but none of them gives the source. Hugh Rawson (many
thanks) kindly responded to my query for his source for the quotation, and
it turns out that he found Locke¹s quotation in Deidre Mullane¹s book of
quotations. But Mullane doesn¹t give the source.

I am presently trying to complete the manuscript for the second edition of
Origin of New York City¹s Nickname ³The Big Apple² (first edition: 1991),
this time co-authored with Barry Popik.
And I would like to have the Locke issue nailed down.

I will therefore write a check of $100 to the first person who can provide
me the exact reference of Locke¹s ³c. 1919² ³Harlem/Big Apple² quote.  I
believe it¹s non-existent, but I¹ll be happy to change my opinion on this if
the quote can actually be shown to be bona fide.

   Below is Hugh Rawson¹s reply to me.

Gerald Cohen

 [Reply from H. Rawson]:

Dear Professor Cohen:
    The Locke quote is one of the few that we took from another dictionary
of quotations, in this case, as explained in our note to the quote, from
Words to Make My Dream Children Live: A Book of African American Quotations,
edited  by Deidre Mullane (Anchor Books, 1995). Mullane's book does not
include a source; only the "c. 1919." Checking my bookshelf, I find that the
same quote, also dated to c. 1919 but otherwise unsourced, appears in My
Soul Looks Back, 'Lest I Forget: A Collection of Quotations by People of
Color, edited by Dorothy Winbush Riley (privately published in 1991 and
republished by HarperCollins, 1993). For whatever it is worth, both
dictionaries include sources for most other quotations. For Locke, in
addition to his books, quotes are sourced to such publications as Theater
Arts Monthly and Opportunity. I don't know if he wrote regularly for these
magazines.
    I'm afraid all this doesn't tell you much except that Locke's reference
to the big apple has been kicking around for some time. Wish I could be of
more help. I will be sure to let you know if I stumble over any other leads.
    Best wishes,
                Hugh R