OT: "The westernized world"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 12 00:25:19 UTC 2009

I'm not sure the comparison between the rate of single mothers in the
US with that in Nordic countries is apt.  In this country much of
single motherhood arises outside of a long-term relationship.  In
Nordic countries there is a wide-spread practice of living together
and raising families without marriage.  In Sweden the term for such a
partner is "sam bo" [sAm bu], meaning "live with."  The term connotes
the same thing as "spouse," but without marriage.  Sometimes such
partners may raise a family and live together for decades before
formally marrying.  All births to such partnerships are out-of-wedlock
in a strict sense but not functionally.  One figure quoted in Sweden
is that only about ten percent of couples actually marry.

Herb