Eggcorn? Weary/Wary

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Jun 12 14:28:44 UTC 2009

        A building security email from our landlord today includes the
line, "Be weary of people working in pairs, as most delivery personnel
work alone."  Google indicates 332,000 hits for "be weary of," with the
first few examples clearly meaning "be wary of."

        Is this an eggcorn?  I'm not sure whether it includes the
necessary element of reanalysis.  Probably some people do think it means
"be tired of," but I would think most people would realize that's not
exactly what the phrase means, even if they're unfamiliar with the word
"wary."  Presumably it's also influenced by "leery."

John Baker