"Big Apple" revisited... -- locating Alain Locke's "c. 1919" quote (1925)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Jun 13 20:14:26 UTC 2009

    Alain Locke¹s quote of ³c. 1919² turns out to be from his 1925 book
(reprinted 1995) _The New Negro_.  I am indebted for this information to
Kathleen Bethel (African American Studies Librarian, Northwestern University
Library) and am very grateful for her assistance. Many thanks.

    The quote is introduced by ³Here in Manhattan² and says "Harlem is the
precious fruit of the Garden of Eden, the big apple."

    This is the earliest attestation thus far of ³big apple² in specific
reference to Harlem, but as far as I can tell, it is otherwise not
significant.  By 1925 ³the big apple² had already been appearing in print in
other references. For example, in 1924 there were six  ³Around the Big
Apple² columns in the turf newspaper ŒMorning Telegraph,¹ and ³the big
apple² had already been applied in print (one time) to Los Angeles and
several times in the meaning of ³big shot/very important person or thing.²

    I still need to check which page of Locke¹s book the quote appears on.
And I need to be sure that it appears in the 1925 edition as well as the
1992 reprinting (although I expect no problems here).

Gerald Cohen

-