Stanley Crouch ...

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 15 20:55:13 UTC 2009

I thought of that, but we didn't speak German at home.  My family
stopped speaking German at home in 1942, about when I was born.  My
father, second generation German-American and bilingual, like my
mother, was a small town Lutheran pastor a ways south of Detroit and
he conducted services in both German and English every Sunday.  About
every two weeks during the war FBI agents would come down from Detroit
to attend German services to make sure nothing subversive was going
on.  My elder sbilings grew up with German at home, but I did not.

Herb