"long" and "short" vowels

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 16 00:17:24 UTC 2009

Thanks kari,

We were taught the same definitions for "long and short vowels".  I think you are right, that it is a traditional Amglish (American English) teaching convention.  I suppose any talk of them should be explained so folks know what is meant. I hope teachers still use that phraseology to link with the past.

Yes John Wells is an Englishman.  I met him when I was in England last summer.  We presented papers at the Spelling Society.  He's quite a well known linguist and is creating quite a stir over there advocating liberalizing spelling toward phonetics.

see truespel.com