Ahra-lessnes in white-Southern speech (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 16 04:38:32 UTC 2009

Back in the day, ca.1940-45, when coal was the usual source of power
for everything from steam plants to home heating in Saint Louis,,
there was a common radio commercial:

[with echo] "OLD ABE" COAL!!!

An[sic] onnis val-yew f'om Kin-tuckih, suh!

Nobody on the show re The Great Tornado Season of '08 used "suh" or
any other example of stereotypically-Southern r-lessness, EXCEPT for
ONE person who said, ONE TIME, "gum-mint." Hence, I am unable to
provide any other examples of r-lessness because there were NO others.
THAT is my point.

My apologies for posting a trivial comment that is more difficult to
understand than a comment of substance.

-Wilson

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Jonathan Lighter<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: Ahra-lessnes in white-Southern speech (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> I'm with Bill, except that I hear "wethuh," not "whethuh." Â Both actually,
> but they're not synonymous in the South.
>
> JL
>
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <
> Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: Ahra-lessnes in white-Southern speech (UNCLASSIFIED)
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>>
>> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>> Caveats: NONE
>>
>> Can you give some specific example words beyond "gummint" in which this
>> might be seen? Â I live in Huntsville, and might recognize some of this
>> speech.
>>
>> If I look through the text of the email below, the following pronunciatio=
> ns
>> wouldn't sound odd to my ear:
>>
>> Ah-meh-kihn (American)
>> Suthun (southern)