Non-coda r-loss in Southern speech?

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Tue Jun 16 16:39:08 UTC 2009

There's a set of cases where clusters with a voiceless fricative + r
lose the r in some Southern speech. DARE gives r-less 'from' mostly
from African-American speakers, but I'm betting that it exists in
among white speakers -- almost sure of it.

A few I have (still today, in unguarded speech) are with the voiceless
interdental fricative -- notably in 'through, throw (throwed/threw/
thrown)'. It's probably lexical for me at least, since most words
sound bizarre without the r:  'three, thread, throttle, throne', etc.
In a few, I can imagine variability but it's hard to tell up here so
far from home: 'throes, throat'. Or maybe some part is phonological --
lose the r before tense /u/ (but a rare enough combo that you can't be
sure), variably before tense /o/, with the r-less 'threw'-form by
analogy.

Anyway, that's just a long clumsy prelude to a simple question: Does
anybody know anything about this general pattern?

Joe