"long" and "short" vowels

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 18 18:42:38 UTC 2009

David,

Sorry, I can't hear sounds when I read about them in books.  But Mr. Ladefoged had good instincts, and we can hear him on the internet reciting the sounds on the charts.  He once wrote me back about my position on favoring ~ee as the sound spoken in USA for "ing/ink" tradstreengz rather than short ~i sound.  He agreed and had some testing out in LA from grad students to show this.

For terms used here, any of us can search on them to find the meaning.  Sometimes the wonder is if the user knows the meaning and sometimes the wonder is the meaning itself, because it evolves, like the terms "long and short" for vowels.

Why do folks say "human" speech?  Can we just say "speech" and assume it's human?

see truespel.com