"long" and "short" vowels

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 19 13:48:52 UTC 2009

That usage has two functions.  One is to distinguish between the study of
the sounds of language covering all languages rather than just one.  The
other is to distinguish between oral production used for language and oral
production that is not typically used for language, like saying the alphabet
while burping (esophageal air stream) or while inhaling.  Granted,
laryngectomy patients may learn to speak with an esophageal air stream, but
languages don't normally do that.  And languages don't make meaning
distinctions by exhaling on one syllable and inhaling on the next.  Again,
that's possible to do, but languages don't do it.

Herb