"long" and "short" vowels

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 20 16:02:03 UTC 2009

In summary, I think we can say this about "long and short" vowels:

Back a half century ago when I was a kid all textbooks for kids said that the "long and short vowels" were such that the "long" vowels had the sound of the letter names for a,e,i,o,u (as in take,Pete,kite,hope,mute - note the connection to silent e) and "short" vowels had different sounds for the same letters as in hat,get,hit,pot,gum.  I believe all textbooks for kids in USA today teach this same thing.

Apparently, the terms "long" and "short" are vestigle nicknames from 700 years ago during Chaucer times in the 1300's (during the Lithuanian empire out east lest we forget).  At that time for English there were both "long" durations and "short" durations of the same 5 vowel sounds, and these durations were lexical - changing one word to another if the vowel were held longer or shorter.

The great vowel shift of 600 years ago changed the vowel sounds and the labels "long" and "short" became attached to different sounds, becoming nicknames with no meaning in relation to the duration of the sounds as they once had.

Truespel recognizes 17 vowel sounds for USA English.  The 5 long and 5 short vowels are spelled as typical (note silent e is added to the long vowels resulting in ~ae,~ee,~ie,~oe,~ue.  In summary

10 long/short vowels

3 "r" influenced ~air (as in "fair"),~er(as in "her"),~or(as in "for"),

2 diphthongs ~oi(as in point),~ou(as in "out")

2 remaining are ah/awe "ah" ~aa and "awe" ~au

17 total vowel in USA English.

see truespel.com