RI cabinet was: Re: non-coda r-loss

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jun 20 22:06:38 UTC 2009

At 6/20/2009 04:31 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

>There's a local term for "ice cream soda" or "milkshake"? I didn't know that!

Wilson, I assume in the above you're playing a
joker card.  Having worked in Cambridge at the
Harvard libraries, you surely know that the
Boston area has a local term for (New York
City's) "ice cream soda".  It is (or was, in our
day) "frappe".  When I first arrived in the
Boston area as a precocious graduate student, I
was told in no uncertain terms that that was what I needed to ask for.

Joel