Antedating of "Ms."

Tue Jun 23 04:29:40 UTC 2009

Thanks to Fred's discovery, I was finally able to locate the original article in
the _Springfield Republican_ (of Massachusetts, not Missouri) on America's
Historical Newspapers. It's in on page 4, col. 5 of the _Springfield Sunday
Republican_, Nov. 10, 1901.

I report on the finding (and provide a scan of the item) in my latest Word
Routes column:

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/1895/

--Ben Zimmer