"i" before "e" except after "c"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Tue Jun 23 22:10:20 UTC 2009

From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:40 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "i" before "e" except after "c" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Have you set up something of a straw man here?  I've never perceived the
"rule" to be necessary or apply to words in which the "i" and "e" are in
parts of two different syllables (from your example, Society, Science,
Scientific, Societies, Scientists, sciences, scientist), or in cases
where "ies" is an inflection of words ending in "y" (your Policies and
Agencies, also Fancied).  If you take out these examples from your
statistics, how does the data look?

Further, when I mentally "sound out" a word to spell it, I deal with
"cient/cienc" as (for example) sufficient/Suh-fish-ee-ent, internally
breaking "ie" into two syllables.  I realize that this isn't standard
pronunciation (and I don't actually pronounce the words that way), but
it leads me to the conclusion that when the "c" in "cie" is soft ch/sh,
the rule doesn't apply in an analogous way to the two-syllable exception
I mention above.

With these addenda to the "rule", the only exception left is "species"
-- not sufficient, I would think, to bust the rule.

I'm surprised that "receipt", "perceive", "conceive", "conceit",
"deceive" and "deceit" (and associated forms) aren't in your list.
"Transceiver" isn't as common, but is still common enough that your net
should be cast wide enough to include
it.

If you expanded your sample size so that most of the words I list in the
paragraph immediately preceding are included, and remove as exceptions
those words in which "i" and "e" are parts of two separate syllables,
I'd bet that the rule applies (even if a sample space of this size ends
up including "regencies", "efficiencies", and "necromancies").

I learned the full form of the rule:

**************
I before E
Except after C
Or when sounded as A
As in neighbor and weigh.
and the rule works for me.  And by works, I mean that when I'm stumped
on how to spell a word, the rule gives useful guidance in my experience.
It may be that I instinctively know how to spell your exception words,
and never apply the rule to them, but nevertheless, when I do apply it,
it is helpful.  Which is the standard by which I judge the rule's
utility.