"Zits" updates the Carling Beer commercial

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 23 22:18:44 UTC 2009

"Carling 'Black Label'!
"Carling 'Black Label' Beer!"

as the old singing commercial went.

This brand was once quite popular in Saint Louis, after it bought the
Stag Brewery in Belleville, IL, a suburb of Saint Louis, from
Nellyville's Griesedieck (not a source of laughter in Saint Louis,
despite being pronounced "grease a dick" [griz @ dIk]) Bros., brewers
of Griesedieck Bros., Falstaff, Stag, and Hyde Park beers. Much to the
chagrin of Anheuser-Busch, Falstaff was always the best-selling beer
in Saint Louis.

-Wilson

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â "Zits" updates the Carling Beer commercial
>
> Today's "Zits: strip updates the old Carling beer commercial:
> http://www.arcamax.com/zits
>
> (Pierce is leading a talking chicken (actually a rooster) on a
> string. Jeremy is skeptical. Â He asks the chicken, "What's the
> president's name?" Â The chicken says "Barack!". Â Jeremy leaves in
> disgust, upon which the chicken, which clearly has a comb, says "And
> his wife Michelle is hot!")
>
> The Carling commercial (somewhat altered in my retelling, I suspect,
> but it's from half a century ago, before I could legally drink beer
> in Massachusetts) had a man walking into a bar and asking if his
> talking dog was worth a free beer. Â The bartender is skeptical, but
> goes along. Â The man asks, "What is the top part of my house called?"
> The dog says "Roof". Â The bartender tells him the dog is just
> barking, so the man tries a second question: "How does my face feel
> in the morning before I shave?" Â The dog answers "Rough". Â The
> bartender is antagonistic, but permits a third question. Â The man
> asks "Who was the greatest baseball player who ever lived?" The dog
> replies, "Ruth". Â The bartender throws them both out into the
> street. Â The man says resentfully to the dog, "Boy, have you let me
> down." Â Upon which the dog looks up at the man and asks, "Who did you
> want me to say, Ty Cobb?"
>
> Joel

-Wilson
–––