"i" before "e" except after "c"

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 24 19:39:57 UTC 2009

I am approaching this from a somewhat different perspective, having
(mis)spent much of my "youth" teaching math. This is not so much a
"rule" as a mnemonic device--largely superficial ditties that teachers
like to refer to as "rules", to add a little semblance of order to their
otherwise chaotic world. When it comes to math, many of these mnemonics
are highly counterproductive, as they often must be untaught when the
students progress to higher-level math. Language does not have quite the
same rigorous structure as math, and regularities, particularly in
English spelling, are somewhat harder to come upon. So the "rules" often
appear to be far more absolute than they really are--the number of
qualifiers needed to make a complete case is so large that the rule
would become useless if they needed to be taught.  The current example
demonstrates it quite adequately.

I suspect, there would be a lot less argument if we stopped looking at
"rules" in this context as something absolute--we are not talking about
syntax theories or morphology. This is an attempt to bring some
regularization and make students learn an imperceptible pattern easier.
Such "rules" rely as much on student intuition (often nonexistent) as
they do on actual patterns. There is no reason to pretend that there is
some scientific certainty attached to them.

    VS-)