Q: "Upham ’sCollection of Newspaper Extracts"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Jun 26 13:50:38 UTC 2009

Quoting "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>:

> Can anyone help me identify something described as "Upham's
> Collection of Newspaper Extracts"?  It is cited as the source of a
> "private letter" dated 1755 from "Trent Town", NJ, in an 1897 volume
> of "Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New
> Jersey" and the letter was supplied (for a section of newspaper items
> related to NJ) by an Albert Matthews of Boston.
>
> Although the "private letter" presumably appeared in some newspaper
> that Upham collected from, I have not found the text of the letter
> itself using Early American Newspapers.  For "Upham's Collection", I
> have not found anything in WorldCat, nor via Google Web or Google
> Books.  But perhaps my search terms have not been imaginative enough.
>
> The "private letter discusses the threats imagined from the French,
> the lack of initiative against them except from Boston, and a visit
> to Philadelphia by a group of Mohawks, including their appearance at
> the Philadelphia assembly.
>
> Joel

FWIW, there are also New Jersey archive-related mentions of "Upham[']s
Collection of English Newspaper Cuttings," and the letter, or an
extract of it,
dated April 18, 1755 was printed in London Evening Post (London, England),
Thursday, July 3 [to July 5], 1755; Issue 4314. p.1 col. 3.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson