[ADS-L] OT: No,  I'm not funning with Wilson

Sat Jun 27 19:21:48 UTC 2009

Several times when I was living for a short while in Germany I would be
approached in the streets by German tourists who asked me--in German--for
directions to various Bamberg landmarks. (I was also propositioned by a Turkish
male prostitute in approximately the same circumstances.) I always answered
that I did not speak German. Apparently I looked German (not to mention a gay
German), because I always got an angry response from the questioners, who
simply did not believe that I was an American. So I decided to try to use an
American accent in saying that I didn't speak German. This only made the
questioners even angrier.

In a message dated 6/27/09 10:55:16 AM, gcohen at MST.EDU writes:

>   On a lighter note in this vein, every morning I bought the NY Times at
> the corner newspaper stand on 57th Street, and the fellow who worked there
> was certain that I was Woody Allen.  And the more I told him I wasn't, the
> more certain he was that I was joshing him.  This went on every day for
> several months.
>
>     So one of the lessons I've learned in life is that when someone is
> certain he's being joshed, denials will be taken as additional evidence that
> joshing really is going on.  So to Wilson (aka W., aka "Money"--and Wilson
> is free to explain how he got this nickname), I say:  Okay, I really was
> funning with you

Make your summer sizzle with fast and easy recipes for the