pron. of just

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 1 04:30:49 UTC 2009

In American English as I know it, and phonetically spelled it, I cannot say I've come across a syllabic consonant.  Syllables have vowels in them.

see truespel.com

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: M Covarrubias
> Subject: Re: pron. of just
>
> On Feb 28, 2009, at 6:59 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>
>> It's only a fact if you define it as such. Take the word "local".
>> Do you want to say the phonetic spelling is ~loekl. Then what if I
>> need to say "localizer" I don't want to say ~loekliezer. I want to
>> say ~loekooliezer. But your syllabic l foespel does not allow it.
>> Not good.
>

> it's also a fact if it happens to be true. which it is. the phonology
> of english isn't limited by your inability to recognize the system.
>
> this is yet another weakness of your system -- the inability to
> indicate syllabic consonants. but it's easily solved. you might want
> to consider using an extra symbol in there to indicate when the [r] or
> the [l] or the [m] or the [n] is syllabic.
>
> unless you really don't care about transcribing accurately.

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009