Oldest words in English?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 1 17:07:25 UTC 2009

At 10:24 AM -0600 3/1/09, Joseph Salmons wrote:
>Ahhhh, the old pre-IE substrate vocabulary issue. There's a whole
>literature on just 'apple', by Hamp, Huld, D.Q. Adams, and others.

Including Theo Vennemann, whose paper a decade ago "Andromeda and the
Apples of the Hesperides" is a tour de force.  It's included in the
compilation "Europa Vasconica - Europa Semitica" is available for
sampling on google books.

We've discussed this here, back in 2001 if memory serves...ah yes,
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0106A&L=ads-l&D=0#3

But I see that was more about apples in the context of prostitutes
and The Big Apple (one of the more notorious etymythologies extant)
than about the Vasconic roots of "apple".  But I see in one of my
postings there I mentioned that Vennemann summarized his findings in
his Linguist List
posting 9.421, "Apple-Word" (Mar. 20, 1998, available through the
archives at www.linguistlist.org).

LH