Oldest words in English?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 1 19:23:11 UTC 2009

At 2:04 PM -0500 3/1/09, Baker, John wrote:
>         I'm doubtful that tin has been known long enough to be from a
>pre-Indo-European substrate.  Wikipedia says it was used in bronze by
>3500 BC, but I doubt if it's much older than that, and I assume that
>words from a pre-Indo-European substrate would have to be quite a bit
>older.  Apples, badness, and gold, of course, do have the requisite
>antiquity, but when one part of a claim is demolished, I tend to look
>askance at its remaining parts.
>

>John Baker

The irony (perhaps intended by Jon) is that we were just discussing
the "scientific claim" (purveyed by the BBC and other sources) that
we can predict of a few of our current English words that they won't
be around for those time-travelers' Scrabble games in the prehistoric
past or the distant future because they're so unstable--and one of
those words was "bad".

LH