Oldest words in English?

Sun Mar 1 22:43:33 UTC 2009

But that is precisely what AHD suggests : non-PIE people discovered tin, named it, and then the Cells and Germs borrowed the name with the product. They suggest that the timeline is not improbable cuz tin was traded to No. Africans from Europe by Bronze Age (pre-PIE) people. The tin was invented before the PIE.
------Original Message------
From: Baker, John
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Oldest words in English?
Sent: Mar 1, 2009 3:01 PM

        AHD suggests that "The origins of the word tin may date to a time before Europe had been settled by speakers of Indo-European languages, such as the Germanic and Celtic languages."  This is, of course, entirely possible.  However, I understood the claim to be that "tin" is not just of non-Indo-European origin, but actually older than Proto-Indo-European, which is unlikely.

John Baker