"Soldier"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 2 03:35:42 UTC 2009

I once had occasion to tell a class of college students that the U.S. Marine
Corps is under the authority of the Secretary of the Navy and has no
connection with the U.S. Army.

Looks of mild amazement supplanted the usual looks of utter boredom.

Also, now that I think of it, Joel's "marine soldier" is undoubtedly the
immediate origin, through clipping, of the noun "marine."

By "technical contexts" I meant contexts where it was felt necessary to
distinguish carefully.

JL