Snow

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 2 13:30:39 UTC 2009

I learned a totally-straightforward, easily-remembered rule

_The_ number _is_

_A_ number _are_

easily extrapolated to similar cases.

Of course, given that several such easily-remembered prescriptive
rules have been lost over the past half-century, including at least
one rule so "crystal-clear" and "obvious" that there was never any
reason to make mention of a rule governing it:

_never to VP / not to VP_

which has shifted to

_to never VP /to not VP_

possibly a quarter-century or even more ago, you never know. Like,
I've just heard a guy say on local news that "February is going out
like a lion" instead of that "March is coming in like a lion."

Me myself, I have never felt any connection between these types of
strings and the prescriptive rule never to split an infinitive, since,
in my childhood and youth, though, of course, people said things like

decided to really try hard

all of the time, no one that I ever heard speak said

decided to not (really) try hard
decided to (really) not try hard.

-Wilson
–––