Snow

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 2 16:52:45 UTC 2009

> CBS News reported this evening that "13 inches of snow are expected in
> New York."  "is" or "are"?

Technically the word "inches" is plural so "are" would appear right.  But what's going on here?  What is meant is that "A *total* of 13 inches is expected", because it's really a total expectation.  "Total" is a hidden subject.

If they said "an inch of snow is expected," even a total of 13 is expected, they would also be right.  The point is that they are giving a total.  So the implication is "total".

Now if they said "At least 13 inches of snow is/are expected" that would not be a total.  But somehow the same thinking applies because inches have no identity unlike apples.  You would say 13 apples are in the basket, but also a collection of 13 apples are in the basket.

Inches is a measure and I think intuitively a collection.  I don't think one would say "13 inches are at least what you're going to get."  I think one would say "13 inches is at least what you're going to get."

Anyway, I think I'd say "is" instead of "are" in my own speech here.  Goes to when a collective noun is understood though not spoken.

see truespel.com

Windows Live™: Life without walls.