use of "sunshine" as a racial slur against blacks

Jocelyn Limpert jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 3 00:53:29 UTC 2009

I should have added, I guess, that I found the following three results in my
search:

FIRST:

Their favourite was to call blacks "sunshine" and follow up with a string of
other abuses: nig-nog, gollywog, currant bun, coon, bongo, nigger and plain
black bastard.

The above is from http://www.newstatesman.com/200205270004

SECOND:

 The *Ten Picaninnies* was a forerunner to Hal Roach's *Our Gang* series --
sometimes referred to as *The Little Rascals*. First produced in 1922, *Our
Gang* continued into the "talkie era." Roach described the show as "comedies
of child life." It included an interracial cast of children, including, at
various times, these Black characters: Sunshine Sammy, Pineapple, and Farina
in the 1920s, and later, Stymie, and Buckwheat. One or two Black children
appeared in each short episode.

See above reference to "Sunshine Sammy," black character -- from
http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/picaninny/

THIRD:

A site which briefly gets into the etymology, as well as a lot more:
http://soompi.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t119158.html

FOURTH:

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as
HTML<http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:n26tbUr4c9sJ:www.rcgd.isr.umich.edu/prba/perspectives/winter1994/springsummer2002/beatty.pdf+sunshine+definition+vulgar+black&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=136&gl=us>
When Lil’ Kim says, “Call me *sunshine*, pussy spread like the rainbow… *
....* that both intraracial and interracial stereotypes define
*Black*femaleness as “bitchiness.
*....* A classical dictionary of the *vulgar* tongue. London: Routledge & *
...*
www.rcgd.isr.umich.edu/prba/perspectives/winter1994/springsummer2002/beatty.pdf-

ALSO, I came across numerous strings where posters were discussing the term
and whether it was really a racial slur and arguing for and against that
connotation. However, there were a lot of words, mostly meaningless in any
serious context -- not very sophisticated discourse.

All in all, I didn't find much of substance.

I'm adding all this in light of JL's response below and felt I should do
everyone the favor of sharing what I knew, minimal as it may be. I had seen
a lot of "positive" references, as referred to by JL, but not the current
negative one that seem to have yet written about.