quare

Tue Mar 3 15:53:35 UTC 2009

> What does "took to the cross" mean? In isolation I might guess something
> like "embraced Christianity" or "entered the ministry", but I suppose
> here (given the limited context) maybe more like "resorted to swindling".
>>
> Is more information available from extended context?
>
> -- Doug Wilson

There has been an off-line clamor for the full context,  which I will check later today.  For now, I will say that there is a more common underworld expression meaning "to be a criminal", and that is, "to be on the cross".  I suppose that "take to the cross" is a related expression.  I don't recall what this poor lad got arrested for, but, at the least, it wasn't for going to Mass.

Stay tuned.

"Quare" is certainly a dialectal pronunciation of "queer", but since it has appeared in writing as "quare" for about 160 years, it deserves the separate treatment it got in the OED.

GAT

George A. Thompson