Snow

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 3 23:15:00 UTC 2009

Just a couple of quibbles with Jonathan's eminently sensible and
well-argued posting.

The split infinitive was not one of those 18th c. Latinate
prohibitions.  David Mulroy notes in his The War against Grammar
(Boynton/Cook 2003) that the first reference to a prohibition on split
infinitives is in the 1860s, not as recent as PAP, but still not too
old.  Wrong-headed, yes.

The other is on the status of ain't.  That was, Jonathan suggests, an
18th c. prescriptivist screed.  Those grammars and self-help books
were aimed at people trying to climb up into the middle class and
higher, and the authors, who often didn't know themselves how the
nobility and upper classes spoke, did pretty much what prescriptivists
do today, made it up as they went along.  However, as late as the
1930s, Dorothy Sayers has her noble characters using ain't freely.
It's no longer common among the upper classes but that was a 20th c.
change.  The nobility never bothered to read the self-help books and
so never got the advice against using ain't.

Herb